As part of our school’s ongoing partnership with the Australian Business and Community Network (ABCN), students from Year 7 and 8 recently attended four days in the city as part of the ABCN’s STEM Innovate program.
Students participated in problem-solving activities collaborating with industry workers.
Students were surveyed to determine the effectiveness of the program. (Note the rating scale is a 1 – 7 measure with 1 being lowest through to 7 being highest rating – ie 5 – 7 is agree to strongly agree.) These results demonstrate that overall the students gained a lot from the program.
|Rating Area||Before Innovate Rating 5-7||After Innovate Rating 5-7|
|I am interested in STEM subjects||55%||100%|
|I would like to continue to study STEM subjects in the future||65%||90%|
|I am aware of the different types of STEM-related careers||55%||100%|
|I understand the link between school subjects and STEM careers||65%||100%|
|I understand appropriate workplace behaviour||89%||100%|
|I am able to think of creative solutions to problems||52%||85%|
|I am able to work effectively as part of a team||46%||85%|
|I can communicate my ideas to others||68%||80%|
Student Comments –
- I learnt the education requirements for their job and the work ethics that is required in a workplace. This helps me to think about my future
- I loved it especially the engineer and maths sessions
- I learnt that solving problems is not easy and also I enjoyed it.
- It was so fun
- It’s really, really fun
- I would recommend it because it’s a great way to learn how to collaborate and communicate with others, it can also help you learn new skills you can use as well as great memories.
- I would recommend this for my peers to get to know other people and to get their minds thinking about the future.
- How to share my ideas and speak more confidently
- This program has opened my mind to the different possibilities in the future.
- A new learning experience. Mentors were all very nice and helped a lot
Mentor Comments –
- Very worthwhile
- Definitely worthwhile participating in the opportunity to help students. Very bright students.
- It has been enjoyable and very satisfying in seeing the growth from the students
- Helped me re- establish some thoughts and challenges about being in high school again and how an experience like this can really influence, it certainly would have influenced me positively.
- The programs is well run, very organized and the activities are very interesting
- I have learnt a lot from the students and learnt how to guide them. Working with different kids with different personality, learn to treat each individual differently
- It has been really rewarding to spend time with people from a different generation and from different backgrounds. It took me out of my comfort zone, but in a good way.
- Give it a go, really enjoyable and provides another experience than dealing with your own kids and how to communicate with them.
- Strongly encourage and go for it! Developed presentation skills, partnerships and enabled STEM awareness.
Thank you to the Australian Business and Community Network (ABCN) for their organisation of this program.